Total Pageviews

Sunday 4 March 2018

Hive Fleet Nocturne: Tyranocyte

I have been working on the nids for since January and while I do not have all of the photos downloaded yet, I will post a few and get around to photographing the rest. So far I have completed 20 Genestealers, 1 Patriarch, 6 Warriors, 1 FW Trygon, 1 Mawlock, 1 Tyrant Guard, 1 Ravener, 1 Red Terror, a Tervigon, and a Tyranocyte. I have been rushing these as I am looking to get as much done as possible and they are strictly table top quality. I have been having issues not only with my eyes but also with arthritic pain (growing older sometimes blows) so I have been looking to get a large volume of models done.

For now I have a few Mawlock and Tyranocyte shots. Still working on two more Tyranocytes before I am off in Carnifex land. An endless horde indeed.

First off the Mawlock. I used a Carnifex torso as I was using the larger Mawlock torso for an Old One Eye conversion. The Mawlock looks a lot more hunched and sinister. And while I understand that the torso is not convenient for a burrowing creature, neither is a burrowing creature of this size that can travel through the earth at speed. So....yeah.
















The 3 Tyranocytes have been modeled to represent 3 different phases of the pods descent through the atmosphere. One is modeled with all armoured flaps out and the bottom tentacles retracted; the second has the 3 back panels open with the tentacles extending to the ground; the third has all armoured panels closed and is supported on it's tentacles. This model is the second phase. I used a heat gun to bend the tentacles. if you try this for the first time be very careful as it is easy to melt the styrene plastic with a heat gun. Keep the gun in constant motion so that you heat the piece evenly. 

PS
Yes I did get lazy about sealing all of the the gaps between the plates. Like I said, table top quality.




2 comments:

  1. Nice, I like the plan for the bodies in different states of deployment. Muybridge-like.

    Did you cast those steel deck plates yourself? They look like homemade resin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I have been using Smooth Cast products to make casts of icons and bits. generally if you see a cream-coloured bit on a piece then it is probably cast. Most people are going towards 3D printing but it still has a high start up cost relative to the use I would get out of it. I have amassed a ridiculous collection of silicon rubber molds of model bits. It is easy to do.

    ReplyDelete