Not having any background in photography, I am generally blind and unthinking in my approach to taking photos. Luckily I have friends who have no problem saying that the shots I took look bad. Specifically the camera's flash washed out the colours so much that any evidence of highlighting was obliterated. So I took a long hard look at these photos and tried taking a few shots in natural light and with the flash off. I did do some colour correction using a very old program I have but I tried to keep my manipulations to a minimum and had the model at hand to compare the colours. It is quite possible that such digital shenanigans is at least partly responsible for the washed out look of the previous set of photos but that sounds too much like taking responsibility and that just is not my thing.
I may finally get my first game of 6th Ed in soon, but for that I am planning on using my Ultramarines. At 300 pts kitted out like this this flier may be a bit much for a 1500 pt game (points wise that is). There is also the inevitability that the first time a newly completed model hits the table, it gets destroyed by the first shot that hits it. I should probably field the Wolves just to get that out of thee way and blame it on unfamiliarity with the demands of the new rule set.
Sunday, 22 July 2012
So the Storm Eagle is pretty much done and assembled. The two frame bar thingies on the front of the canopy were a pain in the butt and popped off at least three different times.Once the canopy was in the front canopy piece did not seem to sit well so I need to re-glue that portion down and secure it. I did do some carbon scoring on the engine nozzles but I kept it low key as I am grooving on the overall appearance of the model. I suspect that I will be adding paint chips and other wear marks but even those will be relatively light. But for now, this is how the project turned out. Now on to the FW projects...
Wednesday, 18 July 2012
So life intervened and greatly interfered with all projects great and small. But I have done some work in the interim. the second, secret FW project has actually become two now but I should have shots of them up by the end of next week. The models are great but the subject matter is not in my area of interest so it is hard to be motivated at times. And I have continued some work on the Storm Eagle. The base coats are about done but I want to finish highlighting the red portions before I apply the first coat of sealer. Then I will continue working on the grey portions. I will need to re-line the lines between the armour plates just to clean up the lines a bit but overall it is starting to shape up. I also detailed the base but I did not photograph any of that just yet. Anyway here are some of the more recent shots: