I was not too inspired by the model on first glance but I do like it better now that I have had it in hand. I also (of course) had to do something to change the damn thing because just assembling a stock model would be too frikkin convenient!....sorry. Anyway...
I added control surfaces more akin to the wings of a Viper. I moved the lascanons (from a Predator kit) so that they are now mounted on the wings (like a Viper too) and reversed the engine cowling on the top so that the flyer's profile is thinner at the front and gets thicker as it goes towards the cockpit. If you are wondering as to why there is a gap on the sides of the cowling well, funny story. I was trying to heat up the piece to bend it slightly to conform better to the new arrangement and so left it on the metal shade of my desk lamp. When that did not produce the desired heat I instead placed the piece directly on the light bulb. Then I saw something shiny and forgot about it until I noticed it melting. So in short, plasti-card strips will be covering my shame.
I really like the lines of this thing now although I must confess it now looks more like a fighter than a transport....if fighter could be made from metal shipping containers.
Pics of the WIP...
The good news: Now primed. I will be blue-tacking the missiles into the pods as it still leaves the option of using the heavy bolters.
The bad news: Now we are at the painting stage again....sigh
Ok, next weekend I will complete Ranulf (I promise), and get this bugger going along with the Caestus Assault Ram. After all another Stormfang is already on the way. The only question is do I make it look like this one or implement my original plan. That would involve a more dramatic rearrangement of the ships components, but I am still liking the idea of it. Argh!!