Total Pageviews

Monday, 28 December 2015

Launch Bay: Detailing begins

So having made the mistake of moving these pieces around led to a full blown work session this past weekend that made my basement look like a cardboard and foamcore factory exploded.

I spent a fair bit of time detailing the elevator. One flight elevator is being modeled with the elevator raised while the other is being done with the main bay door closed. The elevator itself is in two levels as I wanted some slightly mechanical items to be visible through the mesh portions of the elevator platform. I then realized that when the lighting system is put in, some of the light should hit these mechanical parts so I added some lifts in the form of foam core strips. I am hoping that their arrangement will allow a bit of light from the light strip to shine from below the elevator. For all of the effort in designing and detailing, I have yet to test if this idea will actually work.

The main structure at the center of the first board section received some bulk and some detail. I added a second level and started adding some reinforcement to the outside braces of the structure. I do not have a clear picture of this piece yet so progress is necessarily slow but like the rest, I am going to keep adding bits until I am satisfied with it's appearance and bulk. I am trying to keep the center of gravity towards the end of the table but by necessity the structure will ultimately be supported by the gantries.

I have been trying to devise a structure or structures to surround the teleporter that would add a sense of walls without interfering too much with larger vehicles but I can not come up with one that would not be purely decorative as opposed to decorative and functional. So instead I decided to add some random mechanical detail to the floor surrounding the teleport pad. Most are pieces of plastic from other model kits, with a lot from the Millennium Falcon kit. Some structures are made using card and foam core to bulk them out. In truth I would prefer the board is busier (and it still may be). Because of the raised platform in the center of the board section there is already plenty of cover on the board. It just is not busy enough. I did avoid adding any detail that would interfere with stacking the board section.

The Warhound is still on the table. But the desire to build is currently winning right now as I take advantage of the holidays to reorganize the house and move things around/throw stuff out. I even spent some time assembling a couple of Eldar superheavy tanks but I am avoiding photos of them until some vague future date when they may get introduced to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment