So I have moved the forward control surfaces back now. Positioned at the front, they seemd to give a boxy outline to the model as they widened the front of the SE. Having moved them back now restores most of the delta shape the model had before these fins were attached. I could always just leave them off but that would take this conversion further away from being a SE than I personally would like.
In these shots you can also see the resin SW pieces that I am using to spruce up the plane. The eagle icon from the Rhino door kit from FW on top of the vengeance launcher actually looks surprisingly good. I really should have worked out the mounting before assembling this model though.
And yes I realize that the lascanons on the right wing are crooked. They are not glued in and that mount is a bit looser than the other one.