Total Pageviews

Sunday 22 April 2012

Yet More Storm Eagle WIP

So I have moved the forward control surfaces back now. Positioned at the front, they seemd to give a boxy outline to the model as they widened the front of the SE. Having moved them back now restores most of the delta shape the model had before these fins were attached. I could always just leave them off but that would take this conversion further away from being a SE than I personally would like.

In these shots you can also see the resin SW pieces that I am using to spruce up the plane. The eagle icon from the Rhino door kit from FW on top of the vengeance launcher actually looks surprisingly good. I really should have worked out the mounting before assembling this model though.

And yes I realize that the lascanons on the right wing are crooked. They are not glued in and that mount is a bit looser than the other one.






5 comments:

  1. Have you by any change made some templates for what you have added extra??
    I have two Stom Ravens laying around that I would love to convert into Storm Eagles (so my Space Woulves can use them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was positive I had saved the templates for the extra control surfaces but apparently the only one I can find is the one for the forward pair (just behind the cockpit on the sides). I can send you those if you like. The rear control surfaces I can not find the design for but I can spend a couple of minutes sketching them out with measurements given. There never were any templates for the extensions on the body. I focused primarily on getting the inserts for the sides done, then just measured and cut out the top and bottom piece once those were done.

      Everything else was cut as needed as I did not have a well defined plan for this conversion other than I wanted to make the body longer.

      :-)

      Delete
  2. Any chance I could ask for the control surface templates you've made? It would cut down some of my own trial and error to do the same work you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Pub doc that has the design for the forward fins. the large surfaces on the back I apparently did not keep but I will measure them out for you and sketch it out. I will try to have them up on this blog by sometime next week (I am a bit overwhelmed this week).

      Delete
    2. Thanks I appreciate it. It'll save me a lot of time as doing those mods would be the first time I've used Plasticard or anything similar for modifying a model. This'll make me a bit more comfortable by having a basis to start from.

      Delete